April 10, 2007

I was the prostitute in the Red Light District this weekend.
There were six of us visiting the Shelter City, presenting a drama for the Good Friday outreach. Lukas was God, Christian was Man. Greta was the Temptation of Money, Sarianne the Temptation of Wild Living, I was the prostitute. And it wasn't until we were standing there practicing in the stairwell that I realized how powerful this thing was.
The Red Light District is the next block over from the Shelter City. Many of the guests that stay there come simply to be in close proximity to the women. Tonight the cafe was full of guests, mostly men, staying for the free meal and program.
In the drama, God creates Man. They have a good relationship; He gives him everything He needs, but warns him about the 3 temptations- which are exactly what he goes for. Christian drinks with Sarianne, he chases the money Greta waves at him, he is seduced and played by me. We become the wall between him and God- we torture him and then God steps out and takes his place. Greta and I hold Lukas's hand taut as Sarianne gives the lashes Jesus endured. We pound the nails into His hands and feet and laugh at his last breath. We slink towards Christian to torture him again, but Lukas springs up- defeating death and sprawling all of us out on the floor.
My heart beats hard as this scene runs through my head in the stairwell. There is power in it. There is power in it because it is true. And I think of our surroundings and the light and power that we are presenting in this dark place. I also think of these women. On the way as I had walked to the City, I passed some of the windows. I was struck by this familiar signal- their fingers beckon just like my part in the drama. For them, this is real. They are part of this wall that tempts and separates others from God. They have this wall in their hearts as well.
God used the drama powerfully. We performed it again at the Jordan and it brought tears and questions. Walter left the room after it and sat between the front doors, just staring. He told me he drank hard that night. Because of the drama? He wouldn't say. Pray for Walter and all the other guests and cleaners who saw this drama. Pray that they will understand that Jesus is the one who makes this wall come down; that He is the one who makes relationship with God possible again.


p.s. In all my stories I have changed people's names a bit, just to keep them safe, but Jesus knows who they are- please pray for them!

6 comments:

Jason said...

Hi Anna! As I was leaving Pierced last night, I thought of you...and prayed for you. Mostly that you would not feel forgotten or lonely, but know you are loved by the Father and by your family and friends here. I also prayed that you would continue to be a light in that dark place. Then I read your blog. You are a light in Amsterdam, and I'm sure it's in the more important ways than a drama...like the relationships you are so good at building and the individuals you are so good at loving just where they are. Then I came across this verse and just had to share it since you wrote about Walter. Thinking about you and praying with you. Jason
2 Cor 2:14-17
14 But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. 15 For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. 16 To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task? 17 Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, like men sent from God.
NIV

Unknown said...

Anna! Frickin' post pictures of your hair! I'm checking your blog like 5 times a day!

PS- I love you.

Unknown said...

Dude! Ditto to what Katie said! We want the dreds! We've been waiting for a long time to see this... I miss you and love you lots!

Anonymous said...

i'm so blown away i don't even know what to say. you're doing so much more than running a hostel, though, that's for sure.

love you to pieces,
allison

ps--speaking of pieces-- i also want a piece of YOU! [the dreadlocked pieces, that is] :)

Unknown said...

I feel bad that I wrote such a shallow and harsh comment on such a beautifully written entry... especially after all that Jason said, and then Allison commented on it too. I'm excited about what is happening there too and I'm continuing to pray that God reveals new and uncomfortable ways for you to see more of Him and to be His hands and feet in Amsterdam.

You're loved and missed
KT
PS. I would like to kindly make a request for some photographs of the new additions to your scalp. Thank you ever so much dear sister

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis,

yeah the drama has power.
The power is the truth - as you said. Power to set the captives free, power for us to live of freedom. The truth is the identity we have in Christ.

It is such a blessings, to know you, to work with you, to get to know you!!